Winter is Here – Rodents are out in Force
There has been a marked increase in Rodent activity over the winter.
Amalgamated Pest Control – Caboolture was called to a commercial premise in Narangba who was having a problem with rodents in the roof void.
The technician installed 3 lockable rodent stations in the roof.
The client called after about 10 days to complain of a really bad smell coming from the ceiling.
The follow up call was brought forward and upon arrival the technician located a deceased rat the size of a small possum (see photo). The rodent had made its nest under the insulation in the roof where it was nice and cosy.
Are rodents under control at your home or business?
Rats are very destructive:
- They love to chew on your electrical and data cables.
- They are also known to nest in air conditioning units.
- They can also spread diseases and attract unwanted snakes.
What can you do to control rodents?
Main control strategies for Rodent Control:
- Sanitation – reducing the food and shelter available for rodent activity. This is generally best achieved by removing any rubbish and debris against building structures. Store rubbish in bins that have tight fitting lids. Clean up any spilt food (eg. grain from around bird cages). Attend to any leaking plumbing pipes. Having the property clear from rubbish or debris will help minimise the risk of a rodent infestation. Don’t leave pet food lying around in open containers;
- Rodent-proofing – alter the building structurally so that rodents cannot gain entry. For example seal up any holes with small gauge mesh and seal the bottoms of doors with automatic weather seals or weather strips. A rat can gain entry through a hole as small as 12 mm in diameter and a mouse only needs a hole no larger than 6 mm in diameter;
- Trapping – using non-chemical means such as traps to physically capture rodents;
- Chemical Control – Using a variety of different registered rodenticides including grain bait, pellets and wax blocks.
- Teamwork – Management and treatment of rodents is best achieved through a team effort between yourself and your pest management technician.
Call Amalgamated Pest Control Caboolture Today!
We can provide you with the advice and service you need to prevent rodents becoming a problem, and getting rid of rodents if they have moved in. Call us today!